Prof. Dr. CRISTIAN APETREI
Professor of Infectious Diseases and Microbiology
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and Doctoral School of Public Health
– Born in Iasi, he graduated from the “Grigore T. Popa” University of Medicine and Pharamacy of Iasi and obtained a doctorate in Microbiology at the same University.
– He completed postdoctoral training at Bichat-Claude Bernard Hospital in Paris, France, funded by AUPELF-UREF and ANRS.
– He was a principal investigator at the WHO HIV Research Center in Franceville Gabon, an assistant professor and associate professor at Tulane University in New Orleans, Louisiana, and then a Professor at the University of Pittsburgh.
– Highly experienced in clinical and molecular virology.
– Author of numerous articles in in top international scientific journals.
– Co-author of several books, including Encyclopedia of Virology and Encyclopedia of AIDS.
– At the beginning of his career, his studies in the field of HIV infection in abandoned children in Romania contributed decisively to the understanding of the mechanisms that produced and transmitted this epidemic.
– Doctor Honoris Causa of “Grigore T. Popa” University of Medicine and Pharamacy of and honorary citizen of Iasi